The Asheville Lightning has openings each summer for two interns from college programs, typically sports related. Participation in this program as an intern may result in college credits, depending on the school policy. Internship involves working as assistant to the coaching and administrative staff, and involves attendance at team practices (from late April to the end of July) Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings from 6:30 to 8:00 pm, and at team meets (four during the course of the summer, beginning with a local meet and ending in a national championship meet). Food, travel expenses and lodging is provided by the Asheville Lightning for interns at these meets.
A more detailed description of typical intern responsibilities is given below. Internship with the Asheville Lightning is a great opportunity to learn how an elite track and field program functions in terms of administration, coaching and interaction with parents and the general public.
If you are interested in becoming an intern for the Asheville Lightning, please contact Head Coach Bill Agrella. 828-242-0404 Email
Job Description for Asheville Lightning Intern
A background of participation in track and field or cross country is highly recommended, either at the high school or college level.
Necessary Personal Qualities:
- Ability to relate well to athletes from 5-19 years of age, their parents, coaches, administrators, and officials.
- Ability to work under pressure at times, and at the four track meets, ability to work long hours.
- Ability to differentiate between when to handle a situation, and when to refer it to another coach/administrator.
- Working knowledge of Excel, internet, and general computer skills.
- Ability to pay attention to details, and to follow-up.
Primary responsibilities include the following:
- Assisting Team Administrators in signing up and registering athletes for team and meets, maintaining athlete records and helping to
prepare for, setup and running of the first track meet (Sectional Meet) that is hosted by the Asheville Lightning.
- Assisting Head Coach in coaching athletes when necessary at practices, maintaining workout schedules, occasionally overseeing
athlete workouts, helping to put out and storing of equipment used at practices, helping with tent and equipment setup and takedown
at away track meets, and recording athlete performances records at track meets.